Since becoming pregnant I have found that there are not many meals that don’t leave me feeling nauseous. One thing that I still absolutely love is my mum’s chicken curry.
It is so tasty yet relatively low in fat, and goes great with thai jasmine rice and green salad. Apart from peas , vegetables are not added to the curry as they tend to spoil it. I so look forward to it when I’m visiting my parents for a break from London! Here I share the recipe with you.
Recipe (serves 4-6)
Chicken thigh and drumsticks (not boneless)
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1/4 tsp ginger powder
4 tbsp tomato puree
4 tsp hot curry powder (add water to make into a paste)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 pinch coriander powder
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garam masala
3 oxo sized coconut cream blocks
1/2 cup garden peas
season to taste
- On a medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add tomato puree. When this starts to bubble, add the curry powder and cook until a paste is formed.
- Wash the chicken in running water and put straight into the pan (do not remove the excess water from chicken).
- Add two pinches of salt. Turn up the heat until ingredients start to boil.
- Add soy sauce, coriander, sesame oil and then stir. Turn heat down to simmering. Cover the pan.
- After 10-15 minutes, stir and add the coconut. Do not stir again and do not cover. Increase the heat a little.
- When the coconut has melted, stir. Add the peas, simmer and then cover.
- When chicken is cooked, bring to a quick boil and remove from heat.
- Add garam masala, stir, and then serve.